- 3rd-6th graders are taking NSCAS testing this month but it is different that in past years. This is a pilot test - designed to do two things. The first is to gauge the learning loss that may have occurred from the pandemic and resulting changes to school format. The second is to look at how the NSCAS test could be folded into the MAP test in future years, reducing the number of standardized tests our kids take each spring. What this means for parents and kids this year is that the students individual scores will not be shared with either the students or the parents. Instead, Ms. Kennedy will provide us with an overall look at our school at a future PTO meeting - likely in the fall. MAP testing for all grades will happen yet this spring as well and those individual scores will be shared with parents.
- There will be no 6th grade or Kindergarten graduation ceremonies this year. The district has said that parents are still not allowed in elementary schools (or even any gatherings outdoors) so that eliminated the possibility of graduations. Not to worry, though. The teachers and staff are still going to make the students feel really special about reaching these milestones. The 6th graders will even be able to have their end-of-year picnic at Elmwood Park - just without parents in attendance.
- Field Day will not be the same as in past year. Ms. Counter still plans to let the kids do many of the traditional field day activities during gym classes., but because parents cannot volunteer, the traditional field day is out. This year, the fun will be spread out over the last several weeks of the school year.
- Summer school is not happening at Dundee this year. There are still more than 100 students from Dundee attending, and they'll now be bussed to Field Club Elementary for classes. More information about that will be coming for those students who are registered for summer school.
- This is Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week! Big thanks to our families who donated around $2,500 to shower our staff with gift cards to Target and Amazon. The teachers have also been loving the notes or kind words you or your students have sent in - and they'd always love more! Feel free to thank your favorite teacher and staff members this week. They've been working so hard this year.
- The PTO is gearing up for next school year (and the hopes that we can hold a lot of our activities again!). We're in need of some volunteers to make things happen. We especially need help with our annual direct-giving fundraiser, Dundee Direct, Teacher Appreciation Week, and Teacher Wish Lists. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or nominate someone.
We're also ready to brainstorm for ways to make the next school year a memorable one. We'll always take your suggestions and ideas! Comment or shoot us an email with any questions or suggestions.