Before trivia and social time, the PTO heard from Principal Kaye Kennedy about a few items affecting our school:
- The teachers union is currently at an impasse with the Omaha Public Schools. The latest offer from OPS to the teachers was a salary freeze combined with increased contributions for their retirement and insurance - which equates to a pay cut for teachers. Our teachers are asking for support from parents. They encourage us to do two things: 1) visit the union website to sign an online petition or to send postcards, send text messages, or make phone calls, and 2) attend the OPS school board meeting on May 6th.
- The OPS school board is also looking at redrawing boundaries to accommodate the new schools that will be built in the next few years and alleviate overcrowding at current schools. The current proposals we have seen so far seem to keep Dundee kids heading to Lewis and Clark and Central High School, but they may eliminate some magnet designations or the possibility of opting in to other schools. . You can view the documents here. But Ms. Kennedy encouraged parents to be a part of the discussion process. There are several meetings being held over the next few weeks and several parents plan on attending the April 29th meeting at Omaha Central High School.
In other PTO news:
- please take the PTO survey if you haven't yet. We want all the input we can get!
- keep those nominations coming for PTO Member of the Year!
- the fundraiser for Mrs. Miller to help after her home was destroyed by the flooding raised more than $3,000 for her!
- there are still several openings to help the PTO next year - including Vice Presidents, membership and volunteer, school directory, book fair, and science fair. Click here to nominate yourself or someone else.
We followed up the quick meeting with some fun trivia and lots of great food and drinks.
The next get-together is the PTO potluck on May 10th at the home of incoming presidents Don and Julie Stavneak. Hope to see you there!