The conferences now will be held on a Tuesday late afternoon/evening and the following Thursday from 12-8pm. (The kids do not have school that day).
This is a change from past years, when we've had conferences in late afternoon/evening on Thursday and the following Tuesday.
Why is this important? It affects all the PTO sponsored events that surround parent-teacher conferences. Lunch with a Loved One, Dads and Donuts, and the big book fair all thrived under the previous schedule. In addition, our teachers, staff, students, and parents really seemed to enjoy the old set-up. We are quickly changing things around to accommodate this new change but are hopeful that we can get things back to the way they were for next year.
Principal Kaye Kennedy says that if parents want to voice their concerns about the forced change to our schedule and advocate for a return to the way things were, they can email Charles Wakefield, the Chief Human Resources Officer at OPS. His email is email@example.com.
Other news from the PTO meeting:
- field trips are coming fast and not many parents have completed the mandatory volunteer application yet. You can do it online here.
- The school is looking at starting a composting program, like the one featured in the Omaha World Herald this past week at Fontenelle Elementary. The goal would be to get it started by next year.
- Dundee Direct is officially underway, with business donations coming and and parent donations already coming in via check and online donation. The kids will have lots of opportunities to celebrate and get fired up. The goal is to raise $20,000 to buy new computers for the school. Without that money (and because of the big budget cuts system wide at OPS), the school would have to keep using the 10+ year old computers that are running very slowly.
- eCreamery is doing a fundraiser all of September to give money back to the PTO/As of the four Dundee-area elementary schools. You can buy a pint of Cool Cat ice cream from the freezer and $1/pint will go back to the schools. In addition, Dundee will have a special day just for our PTO on September 26th. 10% of the sales from that day will return to our school.
- Join other parents, faculty, and staff at the Picnic in the Park on Sunday, September 16th at 1:30. It's a great time to get to know other parents.
Any questions about the PTO or the school? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get them answered.