And... it's a BIG DEAL!
This is the highest award the US Department of Education gives out each year. Dundee was nominated over the summer, filled out an extensive application (thanks to Ms. Kennedy and Mrs. Simmons!), and was announced as the winner late last week.
Only 4 schools in Nebraska were awarded Blue Ribbon status this year, and only 342 nationwide. There are two categories for winners - one celebrating a school's ability to "close the gap" and another celebrating a school's overall achievement. Dundee was awarded the Blue Ribbon status for overall achievement.
The most amazing thing? Dundee has already won this Blue Ribbon award back in 2005 so this is our second time being named a Blue Ribbon School.
The credit goes to the teachers, staff, administration, students, families, and the entire neighborhood that makes Dundee Elementary so great. And Ms. Kennedy and the PTO promise a celebration to mark the big award. Details will be coming soon.
In other PTO news....
- The Omaha Public School Board will spotlight Dundee Elementary at its December 4th (edited to reflect new date) meeting, including focusing on the Blue Ribbon school announcement.
- All students this year, Kindergarten through 6th grade, are taking the MAP test. This helps teachers and parents know how each individual child learns throughout the year. Each student will take the test in the fall, winter, and spring to compare results.
- The large number of students in the 4th grade class mean each classroom will receive paraprofessionals to help alleviate the pressure on teachers due to large class sizes.
- Dundee is over-capacity again this year, at nearly 125%. The opening next year of the school in the Gifford Park neighborhood is expected to help alleviate this over-crowding.
- Dundee Direct raised $16,689, which is great but a bit below the goal for the year. Plans are in the works for another big, final push to get us to our goal. (Or you can always donate right here anytime!)
As always, let us know if you have any questions or any topics you'd like to see covered at an upcoming PTO meeting. Comment on this post or email us at DundeePTO@gmail.com.