New Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Logan attended the PTO meeting, answered questions from parents, and talked to us about how she's enjoying her job and Omaha so far.
Among the things Dr. Logan said:
- She thinks Dundee's facilities look great. She even mentioned how clean our restrooms are. Hats off to the custodial staff!
- She would like to see some discretion left up to individual schools when it comes to things like scheduling parent-teacher conferences.
- She has not been involved in any discussions about moving 6th grade out of Dundee and doesn't anticipate that happening anytime soon.
- She does see more budget difficulties coming but says she'll try to focus on cuts that will have the least impact on children.
- The district is currently doing some analysis on whether the magnet schools are truly magnets for students.
- Starting a district-wide composting program (like our composting program here at Dundee) would be great but may not be feasible in the current budget constraints.
- The new school that is opening (Gifford Park) will remove about 40 children from Dundee's rosters. Affected families have been notified.
- She really loves her job and is enjoying Omaha.
It was so nice of Dr. Logan to attend and she was very open to answering any questions parents, teachers, or staff asked. She also said she's very accessible via email if parents who were not able to attend still want to ask questions.
In other PTO news:
- The Talent Show is next Friday, January 18th at 6:30pm. It should be really great!
- Kindergarten Round-Up is January 23rd at 2pm. Parents with children turning 5 by July 31, 2019, should contact the office for details on how to register.
- Winter MAP testing is underway for our students.
- Dundee's spelling bee winner, Evalina Sain, will attend the OPS spelling bee.
- Our 5th & 6th grade boys basketball teams will start competition in two weeks.
- Our robotics teams open competition this weekend.
- Science Fair has been moved to March 26th.
- Yearbook photos need turned in by the end of the month. Click here to add yours!
The PTO is also looking for volunteers to lead the Book Fair, Boo-Hoo Breakfast, and Garden committees. Please contact Tim Carter if you're willing!
Thanks again to Superintendent Dr. Logan for attending. We were honored to have her at our PTO meeting!